Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Wedding Makeup and Hair

I had 2 makeup artists for my wedding - one in JB Johor Malaysia (Legoland) and another for Singapore.  

Tips on bridal makeup
1) You must roughly know what hair-do you want.
Research online and understand what your preference are. You may not know 100% for sure what you want, but at least you have a rough idea.

2) Simple questions to ask yourself:
do you want your hair bun up? High bun or low bun?
do you like your hair let down in curls?
do you like your hair let down equally on both sides or sweep to one side?
do you like your bun to be tilted to one side?
do you like flowers or bling bling accessories?
do you like a tiara?
do you like fresh flower or clothes flower?

3) If you have a hair accesories you like, such as a tiara, don't leave it to chance.
Shop and buy THE tiara you want to wear.

Don't wait for the makeup artist to provide. What if she doesn't have the kind of tiara you dream of? Don't leave it to chances if you can deal with it before hand. Save you some trouble on the actual day.

I bought my tiara from Disney bridal in UK. So, i used this princess tiara for my ROM (legal marriage) and chinese customary wedding. It is of an important significance to me and dont want to leave it to chance. I had seen a bride (a friend), having to choose her hair accessories on the day itself. And she can't really decide which she prefer, the longer one or the more bling one. OMG. I saw her decision-torn look and I know that must feel bad inside.

4) Communicate what hair-do you want to your makeup artist. Know that your makeup artist can do what you like. That is important too.

5) Sit back and relax. If you are the gang-chiong type (worried type), don't look at the mirror. Just leave it to the magical hands.

 Ok, now to my magical makeup artist!

======================================================================================= Joan

Love the hair bun she did for me on my actual day. It last over 12 hours. But don't go away thinking it is doused in gel and hairspray to set the hair. It's not. In fact, it looks very natural!

I must say she's good. Real good. You get her and you are surely in safe hands.

She comes together with her assistant. When they arrive, her assistant will start with maggi-meeing my hair, then she separate them into smaller sections and curl each one of them carefully. Usually, the hair is either maggi-mee or curl, never both. But this time, she did both. After this experience, I understand why it is so important to do both. It makes my wild hair so obedient.

While the assistant is busy with my hair, Joan starts on my makeup. When I met her the day before for a pre-chat on the hairstyle, she told me 2 things to remember. First, do not put anything on my face after cleansing it. She will come and take care of it (from scratch). I am like wow, ok! Second, if i want to wash my hair before she comes, make sure it is thoroughly dry.

When Joan did my makeup, she is very swift in her actions, you can tell that she is highly experienced because she does this full time. No last minute top-up for false eye lashes or ampoules or powder padding etc. I have seen and met makeup artists who charges this and that last minute. sigh.

She currently manages her own nail palour at Taman Pelangi, called NOXX, and she is the in-house makeup artist for SG Bridal Shop. Many people tells me that my makeup for that day is very pretty! I give the credit to Joan's magical hands.

After Joan is done with my makeup, her assistant will be done with maggi-meeing and curling my hair. Joan then takes over with the styling of my hair. Prior to the actual day, I had a meet up with her to discuss the hairstyle i like and what suits me and my gowns. So, she already has an idea what to do. I love her plaits and the clean cut of the hair. Because it had been maggi-mee and curl, they are very highly manageable than without.

She did a neat bun for my actual day. Neat but not tight because I don't like the hairline obvious from over-pulling of hair. I told her i like soft gentle bun look. Love the neat and clean cut plaits she did on the sides of my hair. Usually my hair has a character of its own, always out of place. But under Joan's magic fingers, they suddenly become best of their behaviours. This tells the importance of the maggi-meeing and curling of my hair done by her assistant.

Makeup and hairstyling started at 7.15am, ends before 9am, and the bun lasted till past 11pm after dinner and supper! Amazing hair work!

Highly recommended if you are looking for makeup artist in JB Johor Malaysia. She also travels to SG.

Charges RM 1300 for actual day, 1st dinner march-in and 2nd dinner march-in. If you do not want a change of hairstyle for the 2nd dinner march-in, there is a discount of RM 200. She also did my husband's makeup and styling of his hair.

Oh, one thing is she does not provide that many hair accessories. She doesn't have any bling bling ones. So, if you have a bridal package, you can ask for some hair accessories pieces so Joan can work on. For my case, I didn't have a problem as I bought my own Disney tiara from UK. What she has is clothes flowers and she also works well with fresh flowers.

She can also travel to SG and charges SGD 1100. I don't think it is overly expensive because she has to double her travelling time, and she comes with an assistant. One thing for sure is she definitely completes your look under 2hours. She's efficient and has an assistant.

You feel pampered with 2 ladies busying around your big day. Anyway, it is your big day, so there is no need to scrimp and save on this important element! It is afterall one of your most important day in life - your wedding day!

This is Joan's facebook link!

Hair works
Hair works 2
 Hair works 4 ======================================================================================= Shirlene

Makeup artist for my Singapore dinner. She is THE makeup artist my girlfriends go to whenever we have photoshoot, dinner functions or company annual dinner.

This generous and accommodating lady is dolls you up with all the hair accessories, necklace, earrings and bracelets. So, if you engage her, there is no need to bring any accessories of your own. She lay them all out in front of the bride and begins her magic work. It's abit like shopping and you can choose what you like.

She's easy going and happy to accommodate your wishes. Love her good nature and smiling characters.

On my 2nd dinner march-in look, suddenly a light bulb click and I wanna use fresh flower on the side of my bun. Being a good sportsman spirit, we immediately snip pink carnation off the flower bouquet given to me from Conrad Hotel. With her magical fingers, she pin them up on my high bun for my 2nd look and it goes so well with my pink dress! I totally love that look!

Charges SGD 320, this is really friendship price because I have engaged her many times and proved to be a wonderful referral to all my girlfriends. (more photos of my SG hair do to come..)

This is Shirlene's facebook!


Hair works 3

No comments:

Post a Comment